Monday, December 13, 2010

When does life get easy?

"God is more interested in your character than your comfort."
This is a quote that I heard recently, read from an interview with Rick Warren.  I heard it at a time I was wallowing in self-pity looking at life as "glass half empty" I suppose.  It struck me hard, totally God talking to me at that moment.  Not many things in life get me more emotional than when it comes to dealing with money and taking care of my family.  With the season and the world's expectations pressed on us to give our family the "best Christmas ever", on top of trying to re-finance our mortgage, money issues have been a glaring reality for us recently.  Up until this last year I've always had a "light at the end of the tunnel" approach.  There was always hope for betterment.  This is a starter home- we will some day move on to bigger and better.  Someday I will have nicer clothes and we will be able to go on family vacations.  I will be able to provide the healthy, organic foods I want to feed my kids; the nicer clothes and better shoes, the nicer, reliable cars, and just have some "extra" money for those times when we just want to do something fun as a family.  Not to mention the ability to adopt when we want to and expand our family without the worry of how we are going to pay for it.
Recently, we've begun to realize how "stuck" we really feel.  It's a vicious cycle of needing money to make money, and I find myself hoping for handouts, though the thought of taking handouts is a blow to the ego and humility.  We are truly blessed and God has provided our every need and I am constantly reminding myself of that when I fall into one of my "glass half empty" mind frames.  I've got two beautiful, healthy girls and a fabulous husband.  Two amazing parents that have, and are continuing to, help us through so much, and an incredible extended family and church family.  Right now we are trying to figure out where life goes from here.  With the economy being the way it is I try to remain thankful for the jobs and house we do have, even though we constantly think of a different future.  
In this season, I am praying for myself to remain focused on the true reason for Christmas.  The Devil is really getting to me right now with bringing these feelings of inadequacy and constantly comparing myself to others, and wanting more. 
Sorry, for the rambling post.  I haven't posted my thoughts recently and sometimes it just feels good to get it off my chest and possibly, ask for prayers from you too.  Prayers for guidance for us as to what paths we are supposed to take in the next couple years, and also peace with where we are now.  I haven't felt God as close to me ever before, as I have in the past year.  As hard as it is to say it, I also know that our struggles are probably what has gotten me to know him that closely.  For that alone I wouldn't give them up, however, I am still eager for some financial peace to come sooner than later.  Forever I try to remember, God is good, all the time, God is good.


Also, as an added prayer request, please keep Justin's grandma in your prayers too.  She has been in the hospital all week and went in on Saturday to emergency surgery to repair a stomach perforation (hole).  She also has some unresolved heart issues going on making her chances of leaving the hospital touch and go.  We are so blessed to have gotten to see her at Thanksgiving and for her getting to meet the newest great-grandkids.  We wish we lived closer.

1 comment:

  1. I read somewhere once that these are the "Never Enough" Years. Never enough time, never enough money, never enough sleep.

    However, they are truely the best years of our lives and will be gone before we know it!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete